[pct-l] Bickering about maps

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 22:38:34 CST 2012

I carried only a little more than what Dianne suggested. Keep in mind that the Wilderness Press guidebooks include trail maps. I took the Tom Harrison JMT map set through the Sierra as was suggested at the time, along with strips of regional AAA road maps. It didn't really amount to much per section. I did my first chunk in 2004 when there weren't many options.

I agree with Yogi that it would be irresponsible not to have some kind of map.

Those planning a hike should make an honest assessment of their navigation abilities and equip themselves accordingly. Everyone's abilities are different, some seem to navigate by instinct and never get lost, other can't follow a trail with the best map.

Snap