[pct-l] AA-battery camera

Jeff Eckert jape1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 22:55:51 CST 2012

I have a fair amount of experience with these cameras, not as a photographer (although I use one for that purpose), but as a buyer for a general contractor.  I've been buying the L series Coolpix since the L2 model back when as a field camera for the superintendents.  I chose it because at the time it was one of the few that would place a date stamp on the printed image and also operate on AA's.

I would caution the users of the L24 (and L22) models, for they have a design flaw in the battery access hatch cover.  Out of the 15 or so I purchased last year, a third failed with a broken latch.  It's a little tiny piece of plastic and if the cover is forced when opening, the latch snaps off.  Be gentle with it.  On a happier note, if the latch breaks, the camera will operate as long as the cover over the batteries is pressed shut.  I've used both a bandaid and a rubber band to hold the hatch cover closed, with success.

Some of our companies employees also complain that the AA batteries don't last long enough, and I always end up carrying a spare pair of batteries, just in case.

But my golly, the price is right.

eckert