[pct-l] charging your ipod

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 14 10:46:06 CST 2012

> More and more often I hear that hikers use the iphone for journaling, gps, digital maps, e-mails....
> so they use it a lot... every day for hours?
>
> how do they keep the iphone charged? a little solar device for the big ipod?
>
> I don't have one yet but my brother does. he has to charge his iphone nearly every 1,5 days be using it in a normal way... not for business!
>
> any suggestions?
> thanks robert

I do not recommend solar chargers.  Why you ask....

1) Need the Sun
2) Weight, solar charges commonly weigh about 16 ounces.
3) They are more likely to be lost or stolen (they have to be left out in the open to collect sunlight)
4) They take up a lot of space
5) The cost

I recently purchased the battery New Trent (B002D4IHYM) from Amazon for $50 for a recent test hike in October.  This is a very large battery, about 3.5 inches X 4.25 inches x 0.5 inches and weighs 6.1 ounces.  Prior to hiking the battery lasted 5 recharges when I recharged the iphone when it got down to 20%.  This is consistent with the specifications stating about 3.5 charges for the iphone 4.  This battery is a 7000mA battery and is over kill for carrying on a PCT thru-hike because most hikes last only about 5 days between outlets (or resupply).  But I'm happy with the performance of the battery, still think it is a heavy 6.1 ounces.  I could have purchased a 4000mA battery and saved the weight.

Why I recommend a battery
1) No need for Sun, just plug it in while resupplying
2) Weigh less than a solar charger
3) If they are stolen or lost the replacement cost is lower than a solar charger
4) They take up less space than a solar charger and are more durable (no panel to break)
5) The battery is generally cheaper than a solar charger
6) you can charge the battery in a wall and then safely charge your phone later.  If someone steals or you forget your battery your out only $50 or so and you still have your phone.
7) battery tested comes with a gauge, so you know how much power you have left in the battery at all times.

Paul

hikethru.com
PocketPCT