[pct-l] A few questions

Florence Aza-selinger florenceaza at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:32:10 CST 2012

Hi All,
Firstly I just want to say that this forum is really great. I was so
touched when I posted my first comment and got 6 replies on the same day.
Each and everyone was helpful to me in a different way. Being a first-timer
to the PCT I have so many questions and what-ifs. I'd be super grateful to
get answers to any of my questions. So here goes:
I'm planning on starting the trail at the annual kick-off and possibly
seeing how far I can get. Should I instead aim to reach somewhere (say Big
Bear City) and plan on that being my exit point? Would you suggest a good
place to end my section hike, if I'm planning on hiking for around 3 weeks?
According to Craig's PCT planner, it would take me around 20 days to get to
Big Bear City, which seems like a good amount of time to me.
Do I need trekking poles if I'm ending my hike at around Big bear city?
Where do I get information on trail angels and how to contact them?
Would trail angels be willing to pick me up from along the trail? (as I'm
really not keen on the idea of hitching)
And is it normal to send re-supply packages to trail angels in advance?
Obviously I would be more than happy to reimburse for any help I receive.
My main concern is just getting on and off the trail and food and water.
Finally, do I need to get Yogi's PCT planner if I'm just doing a small
section? Or would a PCT southern california guide suffice? It would cost me
about $50 to get Yogi's guide, as I would have to pay for shipping all the
way to London.
Hope it's alright to ask so many questions, I would just hate for something
to go wrong being out there on my own.

Thanks so much,
Flo