[pct-l] Solar battery charger and iPod

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 14 16:49:08 CST 2012

Thanks for the additional input on solar chargers.  For clarity I included some additional points and restated some.

1) Washington is known for cloudy days.  And cloud cover can block the effectiveness of a solar panel in any location along the PCT for days without any warning.  So relying on a solar charger is taking a risk I don't recommend.   I saw many hikers with solar chargers in the Southern California sections of the PCT but I didn't see any thru-hikers with solar chargers in Oregon or Washington.

2) For clarity the cost for the battery in my example was $50, around half the cost for a typical solar charger.

3) The dimensions for the battery I tested was about 3.5 inches X 4.25 inches x 0.5 inches

4) Having a gauge on the battery provides the ability to manage power much more effectively than estimating.  I carried a AA battery to iphone charger on my last thru-hike in 2010 and I was disappointed on the power conversion and inability to know how much power was left in the AA battery.  When I used rechargeable batteries I was only able to get a partial charge on my iphone.  Lithium batteries were more effective but I would always have to debate on when to recycle the battery and when to replace it because AA batteries don't come with a gauge.  I ended up carrying extra batteries because of the inability to know with any degree of certainty how much power I had left in the battery.

5) During my test hike with the Trent battery (7000mA) I had my iphone on for three days without turning off the phone.  I used the phone to make calls, email, surf the web (check Asabat water updates) and for constant GPS navigation while hiking.  I didn't even come close to using up the external battery. I think I used about half the power in the external battery pack after three days.  I used the phone under conditions that most people wouldn't even imagine on a thru-hike, it was an extreme test.  On tests at home I was able to get five 100% recharges on my iphone (when recharging the iphone when it got down to the 20% level).  I can't imagine having to recharge my iphone more than one or two times on any section along the PCT...so there is a considerable margin of safety built in using this battery type set up.

Paul

HikeThru.com
PocketPCT