[pct-l] A few questions

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:58:18 CST 2012

Great advice all around.  I'll just add that even though some don't use
poles or Yogi's guide, the vast majority of folks hiking this trail do use
both.  Almost everyone I hiked with in 2010 had both.  Folks who started
out without poles in most cases ended up buying them, so for most of us
they are quite useful.  Same with Yogi's guide, I almost never had to pull
mine out because someone or two in my group had theirs out quicker whenever
a question came up that Yogi's guide could answer, and it answers a lot
about the trail, the towns and the experience of being a long distance
hiker today.

Also, beware!  This trail and the experience of hiking it is infectious.  I
started out with every intention of only hiking a few weeks around Kick
Off, but after a week, knew I couldn't leave it.  It wasn't easy for the
other people in my life, but there was no way I was going home except from
Manning Park.  It became the most wonderful summer of my life.  Then the
problem is that you're "ruined"  and will be dreaming of your next long
hike within a few weeks of returning home.  That is, if you're like most of
us on this list.

Have a wonderful time and welcome to the U.S.

Shroomer