[pct-l] Postholer PCT-L -Forum/Ned's Forum on Postholer.com

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:43:52 CST 2012

I'm keen to thru-hike PCT but wont make it 2012.  However getting to learn
and appreciate the trail takes time and is difficult.  I used to read the
PCT-L on Postholer for a number of reasons (decent search so no need to
re-ask already answered questions, no need to keep receiving mails for
topics of no interest to me - forum format much easier for me).

After reading trail journals (from many sources) the trail appealed -
excellent countryside/wildlife, like minded other hikers, etc. However, the
bitching here has really put me off the idea.  Bitching about whose book is
better, whose maps are better, that somebody is making info more widely
available.  It is not like minded hikers helping each other and newcomers
out - it is small minded hikers bitching 'cos their egos are getting in the
way.  Te Araroa or European E routes are now seeming much more appealing.
Do I want to spend 5 months around people who are presenting themselves as
some of you are ?

And when I see people talking about "Cease and Desist" letters - madness.

On other forums I am a member of, people post to help others.  Answer a
question one person asks and others with the same question are answered as
well.  When I post I welcome that info being widely spread so it helps more
people and I don't have to answer the same question repeatedly.

If you post on a public forum how can you start arguing "its my copyright"
- people can (and do) deep link, people can (and do) read.  If people are
trying to make money from reproducing your text then fair enough but if you
considered it has value, why post where anybody on the internet can read it
! (or just put Copyright and a link to your web site !)

People get an impression from what goes on here and the resent messages do
not look good.  PCT now has a slight bad taste - we're having 2nd thoughts.

(Must have sent previous message before verification e-mail got through)