[pct-l] Ankle Strengthening

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sun Jan 15 17:11:03 CST 2012

My ankles are as loose as most people’s wrists.  When I flop my feet around, they have so much range of motion, it looks like I am vigorously waving to a crowd.  I have never walked for more than a couple of hours without twisting an ankle, which is painful, but has never resulted in a sprain.  I can just get back up and walk it off.  After about 10 strides, everything is back to normal, the pain is gone and there is no swelling.  My fear is that this might happen while carrying 30 lbs on the trail, and it might result in a sprain.  My Mayo Clinic physician called it “Skater’s Ankle” and he said he sees a lot of it in kids under about 8 years old, but seldom in adults.  Is there an exercise I can do that will strengthen and tighten my ankles enough to carry some weight without fear of a sprain?  Should I wear boots or shoes?  Bob Riess, San Diego