[pct-l] Fw: How To Light A Fire Instantly In Snow, Ice, And Wind

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 18 21:25:02 CST 2012

Good evening, All,

The gold-standard of hustle-marketing is to sell something that is
essentially free or very inexpensive.  All that air in whipped yogurt is a
good example; and the reduced-fat margarine that has fewer Calories because
they found a way to dilute the oil with water in a way that won’t be
noticed. Most of us have heard people bitch about $4 per gallon gas while
they sip on $1 per liter bottled water.  What’s next? Maybe somebody can
sell rocks.

Years ago along Hwy-97 in Central Oregon -- a tourist route near Crater
Lake -- local kids would set up road-side stands selling golf
ball-size *Mysterious
Oregon Floating Rocks* for $.25 to $.50 each.  Yep, you guessed it: pumice
rock – and yes, it does indeed float.
http://www.eoearth.org/article/PumiceWhat they don’t tell the tourists
is most of the Central Oregon east of
Crater Lake is covered with pumice about 18” deep from the big volcanic
eruption.

I think this fire-starter product is the result of a final exam in a
salesmanship class.  The assignment:  Find a way to sell rocks to
backpackers.

Your cynical correspondent,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye