[pct-l] Pot Cleaning

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:37:50 CST 2012

Scott,

You're not old enough for the Korean Conflict!  My dad was drafted into
that and he is 80 years old.

He was a conscientious objector back when no one else did that kind of
thing.  My dad, a kind, gentle man, said that he could not kill another
human being.  They kept him state side training men on the M-1 rifle.  He
was an expert marksman anyway.  During (and well afterwards) the
depression, his parents had no work so they had to become migrant farmers.
 They took their little girl (his sister) but their boy (my dad) was
expected to fend for himself at 9 years of age.  He had to hunt for his
dinner every night (The state of Minnesota is a hunter's paradise.) and
maybe had a sack of potatoes in the root cellar.  He probably had to walk 5
miles to school also.  That which does not kill you helps you grow
stronger.  Drafted, he showed up on the Army's doorstep at 18 years of age,
an expert marksman, skeet, moving targets... bulls eye every time!  He was
6' and only 150 lbs.  He could field dress a rabbit, faster than you can
lean over and pick up one of those cellophaned Styrofoam meat products in
the supermarket.

I loved your story though.  I will have more respect for my "after dinner"
slurry on the trail.

Toga