[pct-l] The snow is late?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jan 19 21:48:33 CST 2012

Now that the snow has started flying here in Tahoe, we can't help but reflect a bit on how long it took to get here.

Typically at the 8 to 10,000 foot elevation in the north sierra, the trails open up for summer hiking around mid-June and the snow doesn't start falling for six months (say, mid-December).

What did we get this year? The trails up here in Tahoe at the 8 to 10,000 foot elevations didn't become free of snow, facilitating typical summer hiking, until about mid-August. Now, only 5 months later, the snow arrives. Seems to me that the snow came "early" this year, not by the calendar, but by simple timing!

Get your boards and snow shoes out...its time to go play!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150