[pct-l] Barefoot Hiking

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 21 15:26:23 CST 2012

Ray Jardine actually recommended a period of time hiking barefoot
each day for therapeutic purposes. He says, "It's a great way to
toughen ailing feet, both internally and externally. Leg pains can
disappear after walking only a short distance barefoot - a fact which
points to the footwear as the culprit. I consider regular but brief
stints of barefoot hiking both a preventative and something of a cure."

You might consider bringing some moccasins or other non-intrusive
footwear for this purpose if you don't want to go completely barefoot
and just wear them some of the time. I have been doing a lot of
hiking in Altra running shoes, which is a new minimalist brand that
offers a couple of models with a bit of padding, and I've done a lot
of backpacking in Chaco sandals, which aren't that minimal but they
are somewhat less minimal because they are sandals. Anything more
minimal than that and I feel a need to switch back to regular shoes
after a few miles if only to get in some power miles.