[pct-l] Barefoot Hiking

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 21 16:54:33 CST 2012

Good afternoon, All,

I always get a kick out of hearing about the hikers who think they must
carry every compact, high-tech gizmo, but then want to hike barefoot.

I believe hikers who overpronate, i.e. are flat-footed, should be very
cautious about removing the arch support function from shoes.  I used to
wear flat running shoes and my flat feet never hurt, but my knees certainly
did.  Without getting too far into the weeds describing the bio-engineering
involved, I’ll just say overpronation moves the center of the foot strike
outwards.

When a line between the center of the hip joint and the foot center no
longer passes through the center of the knee joint, the outer edge of the
joint is overloaded.

Both of my knees became extremely sore at those outermost edges to the
point any walking or running was painful.  Within a week after installing
appropriate arch inserts I was back running hours at a time.  Even today –
many years later – if I walk for more than an hour of so without support I
begin to feel the beginning of strain on the outboard edges of the knee
joints.

Your results may vary.  Celebrate the thorns.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/