[pct-l] stoveless menu tips?

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:59:23 CST 2012

> Can others give me tips on what lightweight, stoveless food items have
> worked for them?

Fat has about 9 calories per gram, carbohydrates and protein have about 4 calories per gram.  Therefore the lightweight food, or lightest food per unit energy is food high in fat.

Here is a short list of some food items;

-cheese
-dried meat, beef jerky, turkey jerky etc.
-salami
-crackers
-energy bars
-candy bars (Snickers etc.)
-hard candy (Jolly Rancher etc.)
-breakfast drinks (Carnation Instant Breakfast)
-Pop Tarts and other derivatives
-bagels and bread
-dried fruit
-fresh fruit (first day from town)
-olive oil  (high in fat and good on a variety of things)
-tortillas
-nuts
-sunflower seeds
-powder drink mix (many varieties)

Variety is key in any diet, so I recommend going to different grocery stores and spend the time looking at all the items.  If you see something that might work, give it a try before your hike.  If you like it, you can add it to the list.

Paul

HikeThru.com
PocketPCT (updated in 2011)