[pct-l] Marmot Precip

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 07:20:17 CST 2012

I'll start off by saying that IMO no rain wear will keep you absolutely 'dry' when hiking in heavy rain - if nothing else you'll get damp
inside from your own sweat...
Most waterproof-breathable fabrics lose most of their 'breathable' quality when the outside layer is coated with water (thus leading
to even more sweat buildup/retention inside the garment)...
But - you will still be warm (sometimes 'hot') and protected, especially in windy conditions where wind chill is a serious threat (the
majority of hypothermia cases are when the temp is well above freezing, usually only 'down' to 40-45 *F, and wind chill, though still
above freezing, sucks the warmth out of your body)...

So, what to do?
If the temperature is warm enough (including the wind chill factor) - skip wasting time putting on rain gear!  Simply walk in the rain...
In cooler conditions, especially when it's windy, put the rain gear on - but if hiking, don't make the mistake of having too many
insulating layers on under the rain gear (you'll be too warm and sweat more inside under the rain gear!)...

Then there is the adage of throwing on an extra 'layer' when stopping for breaks - in constant rain, I tend towards slowing my pace
slightly and NOT taking short breaks - just continue hiking until I really need to 'rest' for a long break, perhaps including a full 'meal'
at the same time, possibly putting up the tarp and taking a siesta, also...

All that said, I've had a Marmot PreCip for quite a few years which I 'love' and use often, both out hiking AND around home & town -
no complaints here whatsoever!!  I always utilize the pit zips to help release sweat water vapor while hiking or when out for 'exercise'...
Perhaps those that think the PreCip is "useless" possibly have 'lemons'??
My daughter borrowed my PreCip so often that I bought one for her, too - plus being in her size it looks much better than mine on her!!  ;o)

I also have an older Sierra Designs rain jacket that is NOT breathable fabric, though it does have pit zips - I use it when WORKING in
the rain either in the yard or out for week long trail projects if there is any possibility of long periods of rain...  Don't want to 'damage' my
PreCip while 'working' (the SD jacket does have a few patched 'battle scars!!)...   ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)