[pct-l] rain jacket

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Mon Jan 23 13:15:33 CST 2012

Hey DMonkey,

I can jump in on this specific question...

> I've been using the OR Helium this winter.  It's appealing in that it
> weighs 6.8 oz, packs into a pocket about the size of an orange, and
> keeps me surprisingly warm in a hailstorm.
> Is it just a fact of life that rain jackets will get soaked on the
> inside, or is it a limitation of this model, or somehow user error?  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently did an initial review of the 4.7 ounces waterproof
breathable cuben fiber rain jacket that zpacks released back in
October. I bought it because my Helium failed so miserably in the
exact same way that you have described. The simple fact of the matter
is that regardless of what OR and Rab and others try to claim, Pertex
is failing in every way to be viable breathable material AFAIC.
Furthermore because of the lack of pit-zips the Helium makes matters
all the much worse.

I posted about the zpacks wpbcf rain jacket over at BPL and it got
quite a bit of discussion going on. Mostly from people who question
(from lack of knowledge, or just in spite) the ability for CF to
breath. On the second page of this discussion I address my own
loathingness towards the OR helium. It might be worth the few minutes
to read through the entire two or so pages:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58163

Of interest to some (not to me) OR is releasing their "Helium 2" later
this year. Every indication and feedback thus far is indicating that
it is identical in design (including lack of pit-zips, which would
only add 1.1 oz to it, and still keep it under 10oz) and that like the
Helium 1, it too pretty much fails to prevent people from getting
soaked because of a total and utter lack of breathabliity. It is
suppose to be around the 180 gram mark and msrp of 150 ish. Crazy.

As for suggestions... well, if you are a guy willing to add pit zips
to your helium that could be an initial start. Buy two feet of #3 wb
zipper and two sliders (cost $3.60+shipping from zpacks.com) and would
only add 33.6 grams (1.18 ounces) to the Helium and give you some
viability to have that jacket be breathable. 34 grams and 5 or 6 bucks
is a crazy light weight and cheap way to try to solve one of the
problems that the OR Helium has.

I really do not like dissing on a product, but sometimes you just
gotta say it like it needs to be said.

John B. Abela
HikeLighter.Com