[pct-l] Rain Jackets

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 17:33:32 CST 2012

I was a fan of Dri Ducks when I set out from Campo, but we had some really
lousy weather in the first few weeks of desert chaparral hiking and
actually wearing them in wind and snow on the San Felipe Ridge and a few
other places left them in shreds by the time we hitched back to KO.  There
simply wasn't that much duct tape!!!  They are great in the rain if the bad
weather happens where the trail is in good shape but if it's an overgrown
mess or full of blow down, they just didn't hold up for several of us that
used them.  That being said, they do breath and really do shed water, and
best of all, they're cheap, but bring duct tape to hold them together until
you can make it to your bounce box and a second pair.  Setting off with a
couple of them at the ready is actually a great idea if you decide to go
with them.

I bought heavier more chaparral friendly traditional rain gear at KO.  The
jacket I carried the rest of the trip, but had the pants mailed to Cascade
Locks from Sonora Pass.  No CA and OR were warm and dry enough to make the
pants unnecessary.

Shroomer