[pct-l] Rest Periods During A Thru-Hike

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Jan 24 19:30:15 CST 2012

On 1/24/2012 5:25 PM, mark utzman wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I understand the concept of HYOH, I am just trying to learn from
> experienced thru-hikers how they do things. How often do you, on
> average, take breaks from walking?

Breaks were determine by four factors:

1) When I was tired and needed to take a break.

2) When there was shade.

3) When the water bottle I was drinking out of was empty, and I needed
to switch it for a full bottle.

4) When I just wanted to enjoy the view.

The length of breaks were determined by four factors:

1) When I was no longer tired, and wanted to continue walking.

2) When I had cooled off.

3) When I had switched water bottles.

4) When I had finished enjoying the view.