[pct-l] Trail closures

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 22:02:34 CST 2012

Gail,
The possibility, the likelihood, of trail closures at different places along the PCT is a reality. In 2008, for example, I can recall there being several that were not foreseen by anybody as early as January. Just going by memory, there was the Apache Fire north of Fobes Saddle - started by a careless PCT hiker. Then I remember a closure north of Big Bear because of trees that had burned in a previous fire and were falling on the trail.- the trail was officially closed because of concerns that a tree might fall on a hiker. I had to take the designated detour around. Then, as we got into early summer, there were hundreds of lightning-started fires in Northern California - the PCT was closed north of Sierra City. Having arrived there with my horse, I had to re-start in Burney Falls Stare Park. Then, riding north through smokey skies, I got as far as Etna Summit to find the PCT going north closed due to more fires. I had to trailer around and re-start,
 yet again, from Seiad Valley. Going north, Oregon was clear and beautiful - no fires. I rode as far as McKenzie Pass that year.
MendoRider-Hiker