[pct-l] Kearsarge Pass

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 11:41:19 CST 2012

I did it, but only once. The public bear boxes (as opposed to the private
ones in the campground) are on the north side of the parking lot, near the
bathrooms. These are your typical metal boxes - long and low. They are out
in the blazing sun all day, accessible to anyone, anytime, and subject to
being improperly closed by careless folks. Bear all of that in mind if you
elect to cache a box there. Needless to say, anything that can melt, WILL.
My partner left my Bearikade Expedition there one year. It was still there
when we retrieved it - much to my surprise and his relief. Be sure to leave
your name and expected arrival date on it.

That said, the Onion Valley Pack Station offers showers and camping for a
small fee, and will hold boxes for a hefty fee (similar to Muir Trail Ranch)
or deliver them to you at selected locations for an even heftier fee.
Contact Brian or Dee Berner at Sequoia King Pack Trains in Independence;
bernerspack at yahoo.com or pinecreekps at aol.com, and phone is 800-962-0775 or
760/387-2797.

For a listing of other Sierra packers, see
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/pack_stations/page54.html

Incidentally, the access road to Onion Valley is a very steep, curvy asphalt
snake. Drive it slowly and carefully. You would never want to walk it, even
downhill. Hitching a ride into Independence should be easy enough as there
are lots of cars in the parking lot - KP up and back is a popular day hike;
getting back from Independence is more "iffy".