[pct-l] Snow Report

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:30:43 CST 2012

I'm trail angeling for 27 Americorps volunteers this weekend in Norhtstar,
just south of Truckee and drove over Donner Pass and the PCT yesterday.
Wow, if things keep up like this, it may be a great year for an early entry
into the High Sierra as I have never seen so little snow this late in
January.  One to three feet at the pass and four inches in Truckee Meadow
right now.  We're organizing a hike as it will be so easy in these
conditions.  Bad for us skiers, but it portends a great hiking season for
the Sierra.

This could all change with one big dump, and they do happen as they did
last year, but there is no big preexisting pack to build upon.  What's out
there now could be gone in just a few days of warm spring weather.  Don't
count on no snow, and if you can, hook in with Ned's snow courses, as a
cold spring like we had in 2010 gave us lots of snow to deal with, as the
average year just never melted out.  But it is hard to imagine even an
average year happening this year with the lack of rain CA has had, and boy
do we need it.

Forecast for the next week is continued gorgeous.  No big dumps on the
horizon.  We may get a dusting in a day or two, but the next chance of real
weather isn't until mid February according to my Northstar weather guru
at:  http://northstarsnow.blogspot.com/  This guy is better at the long
range forecast for the Central Sierra than any of the usual sources, and
his discussions are fascinating sometimes.

Shroomer