[pct-l] starting from walker pass in late june?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 19:59:36 CST 2012

Hi Sean,
I rode through the area north of Walker Pass in 2008. I was told about the resident bears there. When I arrived at Joshua Tree Spring I had an interesting bear encounter. I had just taken the spur trail down the hill and dismounted Primo. I saw a bear running down the hill, RIGHT TOWARDS US.  I immediately reached down and picked up a couple rocks and ran towards the bear, throwing them in his direction, and shouting as loud as I could in the meanest voice I could make - "GET OUT'A HERE BEAR - GO-GO-GO" That worked well. The bear came to a quick stop did an about-face, and ran back up the hill even faster than he had come down. I have been able to scare bears away using that approach before. I set up camp and never saw another bear at Joshua. The water from the pipe was good - and there was a big water trough for Primo, but very little grass.
MendoRider-Hiker