[pct-l] shuttle service around Etna or Dunsmuir

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 08:09:17 CDT 2012

Yes, Jerry, you are right!  It is even more than just "a little tough" with a horse. Riding the PCT solo is, indeed, a lot more challenging than hiking it. But, I came to accept that and became an expert at hitching. I did what I had to do - and it worked.

So, to do Section P, here is how I did it:  It takes a lot of research and pre-planning.  I had driven my rig ahead to park it, with prior permission, at Castle Crags State Park. Note that horses are not allowed in the park.  In Castella, I had knocked on the door of a house in Castella, that I could see, had horses. I got permission to leave Primo there (when, later, I rode into Castella) in a large, and safe, corral. Then I returned, with the help of BCH Sam Burrows, to Bernie Falls State Park with my horse (I had left Primo at a BCH camp near there)  Then I saddled up and rode Section O to Castella, left Primo, and moved the rig north, caching at one location, to a ranch (pre-arranged) in Etna. From there I hitched back to Castle Crags and rode north from there to Etna Summit (in 2008, the trail was closed because if fire north of there). There is no cell service at the Etna Summit, so I sent word down with a hiker who was hitching  A
 BCH, who owns the ranch in Etna, picked Primo and I up there with my rig. I then trailered around the fire to a ranch (pre-arranged) in Seiad Valley. Left Primo there and drove rig north, caching at four locations . . ;. . . .

If you would be interested in more explanation of my hitching - taking a bus - hitching approach, you can find my slide show on the Postholer Stockman Forum.  TYPE in the following - don't click on it:   postholer.com/stockman

JUDSON.  I suggest that you research the Greyhound schedule. There are six buses that go south on I5. Confirm when and where you will be able to catch a bus. Unfortunately, Greyhound will not stop at either Dunsmuir or Castella. I had to hitch from Shasta City in 2008.

Have a great hike,

MendoRider-Hiker