[pct-l] Border crossing on the Pacific Northwest Trail

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:02:58 CDT 2012

I just read a post here:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?entry_id=31772 an interesting
post from a PNT hiker regarding border patrol. I think this is a week old
or so.

I had a short day today so I slept in until 9:30. I better not get used to
this. It was a beautiful sunny morning and I was stoked to get hiking. I
made my way generally following big lakes and was hiking in my own little
world when I was scared shitless when out of nowhere someone from behind
screams, "Hey, stop right where you are" in a real menacing tone. At first
I thought it was a park ranger and my mind quickly scanned what I could
have possibly done wrong but then I noticed the Border Patrol patch. This
guy had been chasing me for 5 miles and was drenched in sweat and out of
breath while I just mosied my way along the trail. I must have tripped a
ground sensor or camera I'm sure they have on the trail near the border
where I camped last night. He asked where I came from and I said over
Stoney Indian Pass, camped and Waterton River and now here. He couldn't
believe I went over Stoney Indian and had assumed I came in illegally from
Canada. It took several minutes of convincing and answering the same
questions again and again like he forgot my first answer to try and trip me
up. He ended up being a nice guy but his initial yell to me was a bit over
the top given the circumstances. I doubt he chases too many PNT hikers
around. At least I gave him a good workout!