[pct-l] Section G in Oregon

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 6 09:06:40 CDT 2012

Good morning, Kim,

In the section you intend to hike there are three opportunities to improve
your experience by detouring off the “official” PCT – all of them the
result of the need for the PCT to accommodate horse traffic: Paradise Park,
Ramona Falls, and Eagle Creek.

 The first of them north of Timberline is the Paradise Park detour:  It is
well marked on the maps as it branches from the PCT to take the old route
up to some rewarding alpine views of the west side of Hood.  Previous horse
usage damaged the alpine meadows so the “official” PCT was relocated around
a less attractive route lower in the timber.  This detour rejoins the PCT
after about 2 miles.

Further north the PCT descends a long grade to a ford of the Sandy River at
the confluence of Rushing Water Creek.  Shortly north of the ford there is
a branch trail that loops east by Ramona Falls before rejoining the PCT
near Muddy Fork.  Again, the “official” PCT keeps horses away from the
beautiful – but sensitive – area at Ramona Falls.

North past Lolo Pass, the trail ascends to follow a narrow ridge
immediately above, and between, Lost Lake and Bull Run Reservoir.  Camping
is limited in that area because access to the Bull Run drainage is
restricted: It’s the Portland water supply reservoir.  Heaven forbid anyone
should step to the west off the trail to take a squirt -- only the deer,
bear, and elk can do that.

The junction to detour left off the PCT towards Eagle Creek is marked.  The
first 8-10 miles down the canyon through typical Cascade timber is pretty
straightforward, but north of 7 ½ Mile Camp the canyon evolves into the
very deep, narrow gorge for which the route is famous.

I will offer one unusual caution appropriate for the trail all the way down
from 7 ½ Mile Camp to the trailhead:  As delicately as I can put it, I
suggest you attend to your daily cat-hole duties before entering that area,
or plan to wait several hours.  Because of the very narrowness and
steepness of the gorge, and because that part of the trail receives
considerable local day-hiker use, the opportunities to get off the trail to
attend to personal business are very limited, however there are potties at
the trailhead if one can wait that long.

After the trailhead there are two basic ways to hike the approximate 2.5
miles to Cascade Locks:  Trail-600, the Columbia Gorge Trail, stays in the
woods as it side-hills along and above I-84 and the railroad.  It has some
good views of the Columbia Gorge and the Bridge of the Gods.  That part of
the trail intersects the “official” PCT immediately south of Cascade locks
where it ducks under the freeway to a park trailhead at Bridge of the Gods.
There is also a route that follows what used to be the old Gorge Highway.  It
is easier walking but it is closer to the freeway and  it tunnels under the
freeway at one spot.  It ends exactly at the parking lot under the Bridge
of the Gods.

Enjoy your trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye