[pct-l] Southern Oregon snowpack

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 13:41:17 CDT 2012

Last year was definitely an aberration, but on *any *year in the OR
Cascades you can expect snow through late July. The only stretches of the
OR PCT that are reliably snow-free earlier than that are:

   - I-5 northbound toward Hwy 140, but only as far as Howard Prairie.
   After that, it re-enters the Cascades. I've hiked this section Memorial Day
   before.
   - the forest lowlands (relatively) between Olallie Lake and Hwy 26
   - the last 10 or 15 miles descending to the Columbia River

It's forecast to be in the low 90's for several days here in Bend, so there
should be some good snowmelt happening.

Judson/Bunny Slayer