[pct-l] Section G in Oregon

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 6 13:50:22 CDT 2012

Good morning, Kim,

I didn’t remember when you said you would hike, but Irish is correct about
the potential for difficulty at the Sandy River ford.
http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/News_Hood_HikerDrowned.htm

The rivers in that drainage are fed by the Reid, Sandy, and Zig-Zag
Glaciers only a few miles above, but usually the ford is crossable by July
provided there hadn’t been lots of heavy rain in the days just preceding.

In years past I always had more trouble crossing Muddy Fork, but now that
the PCT has been re-routed past Ramona Falls there’s a footbridge at Muddy’
to make crossing a cinch.

I suggest you do not net-search “Sandy River Flood” because there are a
bunch of videos posted about a freak rain and snowmelt flood in Jan. ’11.  Just
looking at it is enough to make a salmon puke.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/