[pct-l] GPS Usage

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 8 17:48:17 CDT 2012

Good afternoon,

I remember the first substantial use of GPS was during Gulf War-1 when they
were issued only the grunts on the ground because aircraft already had
sophisticated inertial navigation systems.  In spite of that, many pilots
bought their own commercial GPS from state-side outdoor stores.  Imagine a
$40M F-15 with a standard Garmin or Magellan duct-taped to the dash.

I’ve loved GPS since it was introduced, but there can be a serious problem:
A GPS can give novices the confidence to venture forth in naive trust
either without maps and/or a compass; or equally as bad, carrying a map and
compass without the foggiest notion of how to use them.  I’m also mystified
at the people who carry GPS’s but can’t use it either.

I use and enjoy a GPS receiver on the trail, but GPS receivers can fail.  As
a result I also carry maps and a simple magnetic -- non-electronic --
compass.

Fortunately on virtually all of the PCT during the thru-hike season a
person can get by without anything if they are sufficiently humble to
always stay close to some knowledgeable person, or wait around until
someone competent shows up to solve a route question for them.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/