[pct-l] Bringing up the rear... 2012 PCT thru hiker

Perry Harris n801yz at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:32:36 CDT 2012

First time caller Alex-

Paint Your Wagon requesting permission to climb aboard Captain. (cue Boson's mate whistling a PCT noobie up the gangway.) OK- all joking aside (all joking? well most of it anyway).

Now at mile # 560 holed up at Tehachapi Airport. Of note: great coffee coming out of a Keurig brewer.

Slogging northbound and hiking solo since leaving Big Bear City/Big Bear Lake, except for one single hike of 24 miles following Bob 75, who is by the way 75 years old and an absolutely superb hiker. Hiked with Onager and Tombstone, on and off most of the way from Cibetts Flat to Mt. San Gorgonio.

FYI Left the southern terminus Apr. 26th. Rolled my right ankle inward on about the third day. Experienced a mean sprain or tear of some kind. Took about as many zeros as is humanly possible and yet, still allow myself a reasonable chance to reach Canada, sans a snow machine, in order to facilitate a modicum of healing...

And now for the full disclosure- experienced a heart attack Feb. 8th. Received a pacemaker Feb. 13th, and a stent in the LADA (affectionately referred to as the widowmaker) Feb. 14th, followed by hospital dismissal Feb. 15th. Bodybag? We don't need no stinkin' body bag! Getting the best cardio rehab money can by!!! Can I get an AMEN?

I'm FINALLY coming into my own hiking pace (zero previous hiking experience except for a little trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in 1973) and expect to put together a string of 20 mile (plus) days, increasing the pace ever so slowly until I am savoring that Canadian brew at Manning Provincial Park.

Looking for some hiking backup now and then from Kennedy Meadows to Canada, with a special emphasis on the trail through Washington. It's going to get cold out there kiddies (think mid Sep. - to mid Oct.)

What say ye?

PYW

Gotta dream boy, gotta song, paint your wagon, and come along.