[pct-l] PCT near Mts Jefferson and Washington?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jul 9 16:24:44 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, Blue Feather,

I haven’t been over that section this season, but usually the area north of
McKenzie melts out fairly quickly.  It covers miles over volcanic cinders
without many trees.  This lets the sun’s heat in to radiate from the dark
rocks.

There’ll probably be some snowpack beginning south of Three Fingered Jack.
North of ‘Jack is Minto Pass where a trail branches northwest.  This is the
old – or alternate – PCT route from the days when it was the Oregon Skyline
Trail.  For a hiker tired of snowpack, this route past Marion and Pamelia
Lakes stays lower on the skirts of Jefferson missing some of the worse
snow-miles around Cathedral Rocks and north.  The lower route rejoins the
current PCT just south of Mill Creek.

Russell Creek carries the outflow of two glaciers, Russell and Jefferson,
so it’s condition much depends upon how hot the weather has been and
whether you cross in the morning when the water is typically low, or
mid-afternoon when the water is likely to be higher.  One aggravation about
Russell Creek is that it flows in a rather narrow channel in a narrow
little canyon:  If there’s lots of water it can only go up; it can’t really
spread out much.

A bit further north is Whitewater Creek which drains Jefferson Park and
part of the north side of Mt. Jefferson but it’s path isn’t quite as narrow
so I’ve always found it easier to ford.

North of Jefferson Park is Park Ridge which is crossed at 7,000 ft. There
will very likely be snowpack going up as well as going down the shadier
north slope, and part of the way down to Breitenbush Lake.  From there
things only get easier.

Suite yourself about the snowshoes, but most of the snowpack in the
Cascades coalesces in a way that doesn’t cause much post-holing.  I have
several pairs but I don’t use them in early summer.  I prefer to carry my
instep crampons during those conditions to avoid slipping and sliding.

Enjoy the trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/