[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Tue Jul 10 13:56:00 CDT 2012

Hi Anne,
I am currently dealing with this same problem. I've started
section-hiking and there really isn't anyone around because I'm not
hiking with the PCT heard or anything. So I am setting up camp really
alone and it is strange once I've got everything set up and there I am
by myself and it's just turned dark and while I am tired from hiking I
am too nervous to sleep. So what am I doing? I am giving myself a talk
and telling myself that I've got my bear can away from my tent, I don't
have anything bears would be interested in within my tent. I tell myself
that having another person their would not make a difference if there
was a maniac out there, in fact if a bear was bent on getting in my tent
another person would not make a difference either. I have started
keeping a journal which makes me think about the highlights of the day
and not the "scary" unknown out there. Really there isn't anything to be
afraid of but I am. Sometimes I tremble as I go to sleep and I just keep
telling myself I'm okay. I try and visualize a lake I visited that day
or some of the views I saw, I think about my dog, anything I can get a
mental picture on that is happy and makes me stop thinking of the "scary
dark"! I am getting better but it is a slow process. I've talked to
other women who've had the same problem and they just slowly get used to
it over time. I guess it is one of those things the more you do it the
more used to it you get.

Since you are thru-hiking I think it will be easy for you. You can
choose to leave from the kick-off which will put you within very close
proximity to a lot of people doing the same thing and you will have a
camaraderie going with them. You will be able to talk to them at night
as you set up your tents together and then when you are tired you can go
to sleep. I am finding with section-hiking that while others are
sometimes around to talk to they are friendly but since we haven't been
hiking together and aren't having the same goal so we chat for a little
while and then go our separate ways. That is a bit difficult for me but
I'm making my way through it. Self talk!!! So far that is what is
working is a good self talk.

I like the advice given about going familiar places and camping.
Take care!
Kathi "Puddles"