[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jul 10 20:32:35 CDT 2012

If you can do a solo overnight before you start your thru-hike, it
might help.

I remember my first solo overnight I was really nervous. I camped
only about 4 miles from the trailhead. When I set up my camp for the
evening, it was still daytime and this huge hairy red-headed man
stormed through my campsite and rushed across the creek and
disappeared into the bushes without saying a word. I was really quite
scared by that. I went across the creek to see what was over there
and I couldn't find a trail or a path or anything. The man never
returned. I never figured out where he went. Even years later I have
never found a way to get anywhere on the other side of the creek.
It's a tangle of impenetrable brush.

In my sleep I had dreams that I get sometimes when I sleep alone.
It's like I have the sleep paralysis but I think I am awake and can
hear someone walking in my house and into my room. I try to call out,
"who's there?" but no matter how hard I try, the sleep paralysis
prevents it. I usually wake myself from the effort of trying to call
out, and then I realize it was a dream.

On my solo overnight this happened because I thought I could smell
gas. I was sure my canister of gas was leaking. I kept trying to wake
up to fix it but I had the sleep paralysis. I also thought I could
hear a bear walking in my camp. I tried to call out but couldn't wake
up.

When morning came, I felt triumphant. I survived. I hiked out to my
car feeling great.

On the PCT I expected a completely solo wilderness experience. I
camped alone only one night in the first 750 miles. When I finally
was alone, I rarely had those sleep paralysis dreams. I got to where
I really liked being alone. Having other people around me who could
hear me rustling my sleeping bag or whatever bothered me. Not having
privacy to pee right outside my tent bothered me, too.