[pct-l] Bathroom stops

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jul 12 21:17:17 CDT 2012

When I was thru-hiking, my urinary problems were during the day. It
wasn't frequent, but it was urgent. I could not hold it. I got the
urge and had to go immediately. At night I would only wake up once,
usually around 3 or 4 in the morning. I thought that's what the
original person was asking about: the inability to hold it. I thought
I just got lazy from being alone so much. I mean, I never had to go
in search of privacy. I was always in private. And once I was in
town, the urgency was no longer present.

As for your inconsiderate opinion about fat people needing to monitor
food intake. That may be true for some but not all. I gained a lot of
weight after my hikes because the thru-hiking and my own proclivities
resulted in a bad case of insulin resistance. I gained weight daily
despite all attempts to moderate my intake. I tried to lose it by
running 3 to 5 miles every day and eating salads without dressing and
low fat foods. It did not work. I continued to gain weight. I finally
went on the paleo diet where I ate high fat low carbohydrate foods at
first, and later lower fat foods. Just meat and vegetables and a very
small amount of fruit. No grains or legumes, only a little dairy.
I've restored my weight and my health and feel more healthy than I
have in my entire life, even more healthy than I felt during my thru-
hikes. I've even got some bulging muscles I've never had before.

I'm hiking the Winds next week and my bear can is going to be stuffed
with awesome paleo foods. Pemmican, homemade heart jerky, homemade
beef tallow/coconut/almond butter/date/walnut/banana bars, dehydrated
sweet potatoes, mushrooms, anchovies and chicken, and coconut manna
curries. Oh yeah. I wish I'd knows all this before my PCT hikes.