[pct-l] Doing the Oregon PCT: 8/5 to 9/15 - 42 days for 456

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:08:52 CDT 2012

First and foremost - Enjoy yourself!

Being a newbie you will have a tendency to pack too much stuff.  This is
difficult but remember you don't need a lot of extra junk to be out in the
wilderness
just enough to be safe.

On your test hikes look at stuff that you are carrying and not using - or
not using much  - think if there are ways you can do without things that
aren't being used much.   Of course some things are carried that aren't
used much - for example my last hike I carried my tent for 4 days and never
used it (cowboy'ed each night)  But a shelter is essential in some
conditions so it was carried anyway.

Be extra careful with your stove and cooking, extra, extra careful.  Don't
over do it - some of the muscles and conditioning is different for hiking
than other activities.

And again -- the most important thing is to enjoy the great outdoors of
Oregon.

Day-Late