[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jul 18 22:34:19 CDT 2012

Good evening, All,

I agree with the comments of Susan of Spokane about camping in close
proximity to obvious big-game trails.  This really doesn’t become much of a
problem until the Cascades, i.e. N. California to Canada, because that’s
where big-game is most common.  They are all creatures of habit, and
commonly use some combination of familiar trails to travel to water; mostly
at night.  In dry seasons their options may be seriously limited so they
can’t just go somewhere else when there’s a human in the way.  Also in the
Pacific NW, the terrain tends to be brushy which reduces or restricts
travel options for them.

Deer – usually Columbian Blacktail – don’t travel in herds, but there may
be a band of 2-4.  Most often in late summer there will be a doe and two
5-month-old fawns.  When she finds your tent in the way, momma will be
cautious and may nervously stomp a hoof occasionally, and may also make a
peculiar exhaling noise – like a whistle that doesn’t actually
whistle.  They’ll
probably fuss around quite a bit but they will finally get up the courage
to pick their way past a tent.   Once I was sleeping in a bivy, and the
wind must have been strange because I became surrounded by 4-6 whitetail
all stomping, whistling and trotting in a circle before they zeroed-in on
exactly where I was.

I sometimes tell a tongue-in-cheek story to the effect that bears have big,
soft, fuzzy feet so a camper can’t hear them.  That’s true as far a feet
go, but generally bears are quite noisy because they are not a prey species.
They sniff, and snort, and moan, and groan, and shuffle their feet as they
plow through the brush, sticking their nose and paws into anything
interesting.  Most often – except for California park bears – they leave
immediately when they get the scent of a human; probably waking a sleeping
hiker but not causing any mischief.

Elk are common in the Northwest, and in late summer they are most often are
found in bands of 3-15 cows or 3-4 bulls; seldom mixed.  A lead elk is
rather of like a fullback:  “Hey, diddle-diddle, right up the middle!”  If
I thought about sleeping on what appeared to be a busy trail I’d be more
concerned about elk than anything else.  They weigh almost as much as a
small saddle horse.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167391

In Washington’s Goat Rocks Wilderness I’ve heard that mountain goats
approach camps, but I’ve never experienced any that close.

Somewhat east of the PCT I’ve had wild horses and antelope come very close
to camp but they haven’t been a nuisance.

For me, one of the biggest aggravations is cattle that wander around
grazing all night swinging those huge, Swiss cow-bells, particularly those
between Seiad and Mt. Ashland.

Generally, a weary hiker can get a good night’s sleep if they stay off the
obvious trails and comfortably away from water holes.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/