[pct-l] Snow fields north of Crater Lake to Sisters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jul 25 07:46:35 CDT 2012

Good morning, Patrick,

That stretch of trail will have snowpack with lots of humps and bumps,
particularly among the trees but, except for the one recently-discussed
hill below Devil’s Peak, there really aren’t any big traverses where self
arrest is critical.

Poles are really helpful and, because of the irregular surface of the
snowpack, traction aids will allow much faster and more sure walking.

You didn’t say when you were hiking, but I’ve been on considerable snowpack
in that section at the end of August in a heavy snow year.  This year isn’t
extreme, just a bit heavier than average.

Enjoy…

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/