[pct-l] cal state park users get used

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Wed Jul 25 08:15:39 CDT 2012

I agree and what you said is pretty much what I read in the LA Times
unfortunatly most people people just read or see a headline and infer
the facts rather then read or find out the details, thanks for setting
things straight.

Jim

The funds were concealed from the Parks Director, the Governor, and the
Legislature. My point is that if this money had been know about over the

years, the legislature would likely have appropriated less that was
done.
I'm not saying that the Legislature and Governor knew of the funds;
rather
they would have appropriated less if they had known. This is my opinion
and
I think it is reasonable given the legislature and budget. No conspiracy

needed. they didn't know so didn't adjust appropriations.

As I read the news reports, the $34 million in the OHV trust fund can
only
be spent for specified OHV purposes. This is not "earmarking". Unless
there
was a change in the relevant law the OHV money could only be used for
the
purposes for which the tax is levied. The other $22 million seems
available
for general park operations.

Until we know who did what and when, it is irresponsible to claim a vast

conspiracy to deceive.

I was an accountant and have worked in large organizations both
governmental and for-profit. While naive outsiders may not realize is
that
in an organization as large and complex as the State of California,
keeping
every account reconciled with all the related accounts is a gargantuan
task. Nor is $50 million that significant when we are dealing with
BILLIONS.