[pct-l] Dehydrated Commercially Prepared Meals (and food strategies in general) - Share your thoughts!

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Jul 31 20:32:47 CDT 2012

When I'm out on my several day section hike, I've used Mt. House FD dinners
-- one "two serving" bag is enough for one meal for me. However I'm also
burning body fat and I do NOT have a thru-hiker appetite. I trim off the
excess top flap (designed for store display) and reheat in the bag. Once I
goofed and got a meal that was meant to be prepared otherwise; I survived.
I also used the empty bag to carry other food trash which reduces food
odors. I also like the convenience of almost no cleanup -- just wash my spoon.

Nutritionally, as I recall, the Mt. House aren't that great although
probably similar to most hiker meals except maybe more sodium. Taste wise,
this is an individual question -- some get to detest certain meals; others
not. At least try preparing a few of the meals at home or on short trips to
see how you like them.

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.