[pct-l] PCT Closed Belden to 36

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:49:10 CDT 2012

The Chips fire north of Belden still is out of control and the PCT remains
closed, as is the road walk from Caribou to Lake Almanor.

Laurie Braaten writes: "The trail between Belden and highway 36 remains
closed. Fire crews are now saying 6 to 10 days before the fire north of
Belden is contained, then who knows how long until the trail is reopened.
The alternate route through Butt Lake is also now closed for at least 2
weeks due to PG&E utility work on Caribou road. Absolutely no one will be
allowed to pass through ( even nonessential pg&e workers are being turned
back!). Hikers must hitch to hwy 36 and pick up the trail there. Little
Haven (Braatens') is closed for the season, hikers skipping the section
need to send forwarding directions to the postmaster for packages at the
Belden post office."

Or if you can hitch to Greenville (on the way to Chester) you can get the
bus at the Greenville Evergreen Market at 8:58 a.m., 2:08 pm or 5:58 pm.
It'll take you to the Holiday Market in Chester for $3.00.

There are lots of helpful people in Chester, including me, who can get you
out to the trail. Piper's Mom 530-596-4473 or my cell 530-251-3795.

Will try to find out more about bus service directly from Belden.

Piper's Mom