[pct-l] PCT Hiker Register

I Discovered That By Going Out I Had Really Gone In timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 23:11:01 CDT 2012

It really is a question about the expectation of privacy, at least to me.  A seperate issue that has come up through the PCT-L is commercial exploitation of posts made in one venue, the PCT-L, by another, Postholer.

One can certainly argue that there is no expectation of privacy from the general public to such posts, but I think that is wrong and not appreciated by those who've been avant-garde from through hiking for awhile.

The rule is that what happens on the trail stays on the trail. So the expected audiance for register posts is the those actually on the trail, not those living vicariously through the hikers of a given season. What is for public consumption are the journals posted by the hikers specifically for public consumption.

This isn't a question of legality so much as it is protecting some hikers who shed the normal persona during a thru hike as well as the experience as a whole.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone