[pct-l] The "Lost" effect on our community

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:39:18 CDT 2012

David wrote:

At some point we're going to probably want to discuss the potential impact
of Cheryl Strayed's book on our community (and its potential impact on
PCT-l).

Given the exposure it's going to get from Oprah, it's almost certain that
we'll see a significant increase in the annual number of thru-hikes over the
next few years (judging from the AT's experience).  That cuts both ways, I
guess.  On one hand, more visibility for the PCT should mean more public
support for protecting and maintaining it.  We can't raise money and receive
legal support for protecting the trail corridor if no one knows or cares
about the trail.

On the other hand, all of the PCT trail infrastructure, social systems, and
communities have been tuned for a certain size of thru-hiker population
that's remained relatively the same size over the past decade and a sharp
spike in usage is going to cause a lot of growing pains.  Some things that
used to work well (hand-placed water caches, trail angel homes being open to
every hiker, etc.) just aren't going to work well anymore.   This could
range from an temporary annoyance to a permanent reality-altering event
depending on how big the spike actually turns out to be.

At any rate, it'll be interesting times.

Eric