[pct-l] Pct hike summer 2013

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jun 8 08:04:45 CDT 2012

I think your workout plan is probably the most likely to guarantee
success. If climbing san jacinto and the others every weekend is
routine, you'll have no trouble.

I did day hiking around Santa Barbara on weekends for years before my
hike. Then 6 weeks before I hit the PCT I quit my job and did some
day hiking every day. Physically I had very few issues.

I did not find the distance to be a problem or the day in day out
thing. But I did get a lot of blisters. Hiking on such an even
surface day after day hurts more than that rocky steep ups and downs
I was used to. It's easy to get a repetitive stress injury on the
PCT. All it takes is a blister and you favor that foot which causes a
chain reaction of compensating motions up your body. The regularity
of the trail -- it'll lean to one side for 10 miles before it
switches, or descend for 5 miles or more at a time -- will beat any
compensating motions into you and before you know it: shin splints or
knee and hip problems.

The other bigger issue sometimes is the mental thing.