[pct-l] Preparing for a Thru Hike

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:23:32 CDT 2012

On 6/8/2012 12:45 PM, Brick Robbins wrote:
> A good running gate and a good walking gate are so different, i'm not
> sure that practicing any of those good running techniques would have
> much impact on good walking habits

You are right--those are very different gaits, and walking works for
*many* hikers.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but walking gave me
shin splints, so I decided to adapt a running gait for the PCT.  In 2010
there was a small minority of hikers who used a trail-running approach,
and they were usually able to sustain big miles.

The idea you can make conscious corrections to your gait is the
important part.  Both approaches can work.

Bigfoot