[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim cache-less strategy?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:07:05 CDT 2012

I'm hiking from Bucks Lake to Burney Falls the week of July 9th and, being
the somewhat strange fellow that I am, I'd like to hike the Hat Creek Rim
without using any water caches (or at least have a realistic plan for doing
so).  What's the current situation on permanent water sources through that
area?  I understand from reading the pct-l archives that Subway Cave is the
last permanent source on the south end?  Is that still true?  What's the
next permanent source northbound from there (reasonable side-trips ok)?  Is
it Crystal/Baum Lakes?

Any random strategy tips would be appreciated.

Eric