[pct-l] Older Hikers--Louis Lamour quote

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Jun 9 10:05:33 CDT 2012

On Jun 9, 2012, at 6:02 AM, Brick Robbins wrote:
> Remember that 30 miles a day is not really speed hiking, it is only 10
> hours of hiking at a reasonable 3mph, and that leaves 14 hours for
> taking pics, sleeping, cooking, sitting in beautiful meadows.

Shortly after Flyin Brian completed the first calendar triple crown, I went
to a workshop he ran called "How to Hike 30 Miles/Day".

The biggest take away for me was that Brian didn't hike "fast".  He claimed,
if I recall correctly, a 2.5 MPH pace.  What he was *really* good at though
was being efficient:

-- he ate breakfast while walking
-- all stops were multi-purpose: get water, check map, snack, pee, tend to feet, etc.
-- he got up early and hiked late

Radar