[pct-l] Off Trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jun 9 23:11:12 CDT 2012

Thank you for posting your honest reflection. It is helpful for people.

It can be easy to get caught up in the whole thing. You don't want to
make friends with people only to never see them again. So you get
swept away whether it's what you really want or not so you don't lose
these people you've met.

I hiked outside the pack on my 2nd section, about a month ahead.
There was no pressure to keep up or keep track of other people. It
was lonelier, though. Since I only knew people from the previous
year, I would see their old posts in the trail registers and feel
lonely for these ghosts that weren't here with me. I would often be
the first or second hiker to sign the register for the year. The
first was the mythical Eric D. who I never met.

I met a lot of interesting section hikers and people out doing their
own backpack trips that had nothing to do with an attempt to complete
the PCT. It was really liberating to meet them. There are so many
ways to hike the PCT.

Since my two big sections I have returned at least twice each year to
hike a section. I enjoy hiking within the herd and not being a part
of them. On the outside looking in is kind of fun for me. I'm glad to
have the freedom to meet them, enjoy them for a few hours, and let
them melt away into the distance ahead of me.

I hiked lots of big mile days and still do sometimes. I thrill in the
ability. I never would have thought that at my age and with my long
history of being fat and not an athlete that I could do what young
men can do. When I was doing my long hikes, I wanted to hike 30 mile
days and felt damn proud of my ability to do it. I couldn't help it
anyway. Every corner up ahead made me want to see what was around
that corner. There were as many corners up ahead as I could eat up
all day every day. I truly felt I would never run out. I also did big
miles because I'm a wuss. I hated hardship. When it got hard, I ran
for warmth and comfort.

Mark, if you are able, go do some section hikes. Go see a few of
those places on the trail you looked forward to. You carved out all
that time, you may as well. Go out there and do it your way. If you
ever want to do a thru-hike again, it'll be soooo much easier when
you already know where all the water is and what it's like. Believe
me! The freedom not to worry about the water is the best part of
section hiking.