[pct-l] Bear encounter before Kennedy Meadows

Elisabeth M. Chaplin echaplin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:33:46 CDT 2012

Dys-feng shui-nal,

I had a mouse chew through a brand new "odor proof" OPSak my first night
out of Kennedy Meadows (holding my "overflow" food that wouldn't fit into
my bear canister). I was lucky to hear the rustling and shoo it away before
he got to my food -- a couple a few nights behind me lost a significant
amount of their overflow food to mice in the same spot, though I don't
think they used an OPSak. I understand that I might have unintentionally
scented the outside of my bag, but as a new bag on the first night out,
that's as clean as it was going to get for the rest of its useful life.

Just because they're labeled "odor proof" does not make them infallible or
even what I would consider reliable as a system against critters of any
size. YMMV. Granted, I still used them as a food holding bag for the
entirety of my thru hike last summer -- their size and thickness were
great! :)

Cheers,
Liz