[pct-l] Belden to Old Station / Belden Resupply

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:44:30 CDT 2012

On June 5th, I left Belden arriving at Old Station on on June 10th.  I
spent some time at the Belden Resort and spoke with the owner's son, who
was tending bar, before leaving in the afternoon.  As I previously noted
from an on trail post, I discussed with him the growing numbers of hikers
who can be expected not just this year, but in the future, and the
potential business opportunity that this represents.  My concern, of
course, is that the individual trail angels will be overwhelmed while the
growth in the trail's popularity makes commercial opportunities, albeit
seasonal, more practical.  Having run a small business I can imagine that
the Belden Resort knows that it is in their interests to diversify their
business as much as possible.  It can't be fun to be dependent on raves fr
your livelihood.  In fact. over the last few years, whenever I've been
through, they have constantly been engaged in construction and improvements.

As for the trail, the two fords of Chips creek on the initial climb out of
the anyon were running at what I estimate to be 20%, or less, of the volume
they were running in early July of last year when I went through.
Blowdowns become a significant issue above 6500'.  Patchy snow began around
the same level and became constant at around 7,000', but visibility was
good enough to allow map and compass without difficulty.  After a mile or
so the snow became patchy again.

Two other hikers had gone through ahead of me according to the register at
the halfway point.  The offerings of my friends from last year were still
on display.  The third day I was overtaken during lunch by Michael C, AKA
Vapor.  Tom had posted about him with the blowdown report from Red's
Meadow.  He was first through the Sierra; summiting Whitney the first week
of May.  He went through without poles, iceaxe, traction aides, Spot and
with shoes he bought at K-Mart.

Trail tread was faint in places.  As I hit 36 I ran into Billy Goat who was
SoBo, the only other hiker I saw.  He noted the lack of trail maintenance
(excluding recent blowdowns, of course) and in fact it was worse,
especially after Drakesbad, and I found myself walking off trail multiple
times even when I remained alert to the issue.  At that point the snow
contnued to be patchy, but was melting quickly.  Nights were consistently
below freezing.

Drakesbad had opened the day before I got there.  I timed it so I arrived
for lunch with time for a shower first.  The potential bad news is that the
managers are retiring and were walking the new ones through the duties they
were assuming.  Hopefully, it will continue with the same level of hiker
friendly service, but this was primarily a result of the personal interest
on the new retirees.

The Hat Creek Resort at Old Station advertised their deli as being open,
but it wasn't.  I hitched to Lake Almanoe along 44 and A21.  If anyone has
a similar idea, one word of advice: Don't.  Piper's Mom picked me up in
Westwood and she and her husband put me up and delivered me back to Belden
the next day.

At Belden I learned that Billy Goat had yet to arrive, but that they were
were holding a package for him, locked in their office.  I ordered coffee
which they wouldn't let me pay for as they were brewing it for the workmen
anyway.