[pct-l] Bear encounter before Kennedy Meadows

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 10:00:39 CDT 2012

Hello Lindsey,  Hello Chris,

Lindsey, I agree with you that it is better to err on the side of being paranoid when it comes to how and where to store your food.

Chris, Never sleep with food in your tent. If you do, you could be lucky for a long time, but eventually come to regret not being careful when you lose it to rodents or, even worse, to a bear that visits you during the night while you are sleeping and tears into your tent. Better to be safe than sorry.

Chris, In the Sierra National Parks you are required by law to have along an approved bear canister. Back country Rangers will sometimes check hikers to see that they have one. You are expected to know the law, and there is a substantial fine for non-compliance. Planning to hike from bear box to bear box should not be considered a reliable option.

Chris,  I am only aware of the one brand of odor-proof food storage sack. It is made by LOCSAK and is called OPSak. That is the one that I have tested and used.  As for approved Bear Canisters, there are several to choose from. I chose the Garcia brand. An advantage is that it is opaque (bears can't see what is inside) and it is not a perfect cylinder and is tapered at the ends. If a bear starts knocking it around, it will roll in circles. This could be important if there is a slope - a perfect cylinder will tend to roll straight down. It's tapered shape is also easier to pack.

Have a great hike,
MendoRider-Hiker