[pct-l] iPhone 4s trail GPS

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Thu Jun 14 13:19:39 CDT 2012

Jackalope96 wrote:

> Anyone know if the iPhone 4s can serve as a trail GPS? What app's would be
> needed? I can't seem to find anything on search engines.

I took my GPS with Halfmile's maps waypoints on my recent 300 mile section on the PCT. I also took my iPhone 4s with PDFs of all of Halfmile's maps and scanned PDFs of other resources (water-report, phone service, etc.) plus Guthook's PCT iPhone app. I also got Halfmile's iPhone app on my last day before leaving.

Guthook's app is great. I found a few minor inaccuracies coming into Hikertown but everything else was spot on. He also has photos of key milestones on the trail which did help.

Halfmile's app is, I found out later a very early version. I frankly could not see the value of using the app and the paper maps at the same time. I was anticipating Halfmile's app with excitement but was let down. No reflection on Halfmile. I love his maps and have been using them since they became available. I look forward to where Halfmile will take the app from here.

After a week or so, I sent my GPS home since the iPhone 4s was filling all my needs on the trail.

TrailHacker

--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln